Gluten-Free Chocolate Almond Cake - Torta Caprese
I learned how to make this cake in Italy with Wendy Holloway from Flavor of Italy. She was so sweet to include a gluten-free recipe for me. I have since learned that this style, creamed yolks with sugar added to almond meal and folded with egg whites, is more of a technique in Italy and other areas of the Mediterranean rather than a response to creating a cake which is gluten-free.
I have adapted her recipe slightly to fit with US measurements. After making it twice, I know it will be a dessert in my repertoire. I hope you will give it a try!
Gluten-Free Chocolate Almond Cake (aka Torta Caprese)
4 ounces dark chocolate
4 ounces unsalted butter or vegetable shortening
1 ½ cups almonds, ground fine (raw, skin on)
2 tablespoons potato starch or cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon sea salt (flakey) or kosher salt
5 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Tip: Eggs are easiest to separate when cold but whip best at room temp
1. Melt butter and chocolate. Cool. Mixture should still be liquid but not hot.
2. Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare a cake pan with non-stick spray or butter/oil and white rice flour.
3. Grind almonds finely. In a bowl, mix the almonds with potato starch, baking powder and salt.
4. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks with sugar and vanilla until thick and smooth, about 2 minutes.
Fold in the almond mixture and chocolate mixture to the egg yolks.
6. Clean the beaters and dry. Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.
Fold in ¼ of the egg whites at a time into the chocolate mixture.