Since the party was going to be all girls, I thought why not do tea sandwiches? Seems easy enough. I had had a few ideas but when it came down to it, I just went with a simple array that I thought would satisfy everyone:
- Peanut Butter and Jelly
- Turkey and Avocado
- Smoked Salmon, Cucumber and Cream Cheese
When it was time to serve, I just took them out of the fridge and we were ready to go. Nothing to cook; so easy! I had some carrots, edamame and cucumbers on the side along with snap pea crisps. Although I'd like to think they are a serving of vegetable, when I look at the label I realize it's more like a potato chip. But, most kids like them so I added it to the mix.
The kids loved the little bite size sandwiches. They all ate a little bit of everything, including the veggies. I'm always amazed what some children will eat if it's available. And of course, the promise of a flower cupcake afterwards was a good motivation!
If you are looking for something a little different, try the mini sandwiches. It's very fun. Here are some other ideas you could use for both children and adults:
- Thinly sliced apple (pour lemon juice over apples to prevent browning) with cream cheese, a sprinkle of bleu cheese and walnuts
- Thinly sliced apple and Boursin cheese
- Ham and butter
- Cucumber and cream cheese
- Cucumber, butter and watercress (very traditional!)
- Any kind of salad like tuna, chicken or turkey
Here are some other children's party food ideas I thought of as well:
- Crustless quiche in different flavors (see my website for recipe)
- Mini muffins and fruit
- Homemade macaroni and cheese (make the cheese sauce ahead, boil the pasta and then toss together). Get the recipe here.
- Sauteed or grilled chicken tenders or chicken tidbits with a sauce on the side (peanut, honey-mustard or maybe bbq)
- Chopped Caesar salad with shredded carrots
- Mini meatballs in tomato sauce (make your own meatballs or use pre-made; simmer in tomato sauce and serve)
- Grilled chicken sausages with dipping mustards
- Pumpkin dip (recipe here-thanks Michele!) with apple slices and pretzel sticks
- Sliced calzones (just rolled up pizza!)