Anyone can be "the family chef". You just need good recipes and techniques! Chef Amy Fothergill shares her best recipes with you for quick and easy dishes with an emphasis on gluten-free.

Get information here about her cookbook, The Warm Kitchen: Gluten-Free Recipes Anyone Can Make and Everyone Will Love.

Monday, December 29, 2008

Gingerbread Cookie Decorating

If you know me, you know I'm not a great baker, at least I don't think I am. I can follow a recipe but sometimes I do things like estimating and eye-balling. Luckily, the things I bake are usually simple so it's easy to make it good.

I mention this because I don't want to take credit for the gingerbread cookie recipe I use; that goes to my friend Amy Andrews. Find her great recipe here on her blog. By the way, thanks to her, I was inspired to create this blog. She has been a big help to me this past year.

Ok, digressing again. I made a couple of batches of these cookies this year. For the first, I used the royal icing and decorated my gingerbread men, girls and bears with hair, faces, dresses, shoes, shirts, pants and all sorts of things. This time, I wasn't paying great attention and I added a wee bit too much water. Instead of making much more than I needed, I decided to approach the whole thing differently and use more of a glaze. It seemed to work out and one unintended benefit was a cookie that was softer and not too crisp.

I'm not even sure of the recipe I used for the glaze but I think it was about 1 cup of confectioner's (powdered) sugar and 1-2 Tbl of water. You could also use milk or cream. Mix until a paste forms and then use a pastry brush to brush onto cookies. Sprinkle right away as the glaze will start to harden immediately. Let these sit out for a few hours, maybe even overnight, to dry.

I put some of these into little holiday baggies with a candy cane and a packet of hot chocolate. It was very festive looking and from what the recipients have said so far, pretty darn good tasting, too. I know it's post Christmas and all but next year, I'll repost this entry in November or early December! Enjoy.

No comments: