Anyone can be "the family chef". You just need good recipes and techniques! Chef Amy Fothergill shares her best recipes with you for quick and easy dishes with an emphasis on gluten-free.

Get information here about her cookbook, The Warm Kitchen: Gluten-Free Recipes Anyone Can Make and Everyone Will Love.

Monday, May 17, 2010

Gluten-Free Biscotti

This is often how things work with me. I decide at some point that I want something. Pizza, cookies, a madeleine...and since I'm eating a gluten-free diet, I can't always go to the store to buy it. Or, maybe I can but it's not always good.

So it was, that day, when I really wanted a good biscotti. Believe it or not, I've never even made them, even with gluten! The next part of the journey began with finding the right recipe.

I wasn't in the mood for lemon pecan or orange walnut. I didn't want chocolate either. Cinnamon almond was coming to mind so that's what I decided to try to create. I used this recipe from one of my favorite bloggers, gluten-free girl, and made a few changes, including using less sugar.

The real test was in serving these little delightful treats to my non-gluten free friends. All were pleasantly surprised when I told them my little secret.

I hope you try it and know you'll like it!

Gluten-Free Cinnamon Almond Biscotti

1/2 c almond flour
1/4 c sorghum flour
1/4 c tapioca flour
1/4 c potato starch
1/4 c white rice flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp xanthan gum
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

8 Tbl (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 c sugar (I used 1/2 c brown sugar and 1/4 c brown rice syrup)
2 large eggs
1/2 c sliced almonds, not toasted

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place a piece of parchment paper or a Silpat on a baking sheet.

2. Add the dry ingredients into a bowl (flours, baking powder, salt, xanthan gum, and cinnamon). Using a whisk, mix until well blended. If necessary, use your fingers to break up any big pieces of almond flour or baking powder.

3. Put the butter in a stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment, beat the butter for about a minute and then pour in the sugar. Cream the butter and sugar together until the batter is smooth, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time until the mixture is fluffy.

4. With the mixture on low, add the dry ingredients in 3 batches. Turn the speed to medium and mix for 1 minute. This helps to "gel" the xanthan gum and hold the dough together. Lower the speed and add the almonds until just mixed.

5. The dough will be sticky. You can either use an ice cream scoop to place the dough on the baking sheet in two long rows or use a greased spatula. Pat down and form each into it's own long log with a spatula. It should be a little flat as well. And yes, it will be sticky.

6. Bake the biscotti for 16-18 minutes, turning around once. Bake until golden and somewhat firm, but still somewhat soft, pushing the top center of the cookie. This is the best way to tell whether it is done. Once done, take the baking sheet out of the oven and allow the biscotti to cool for 10 minutes. Carefully, move them to a cooling rack and leave for at least 30 minutes to firm up.

7. When the biscotti are entirely cool to the touch, place one log on a cutting board. With a serrated knife, cut consistent slices, about 1/2" wide, depending upon how you like your cookies. Move them back onto the baking sheet, bottom side down and repeat with the other log.

8. Heat oven to 350°F again. Once oven is hot, place biscotti back into oven. Bake until they are browned and crunchy, about 16-20 minutes.

Cool them entirely before attempting to eat. Ok, try one if you are drooling but they are better once cooled! Store in an airtight container.

Makes 2-3 dozen biscotti.

4 comments:

Shauna said...

they look wonderful! I'd love one right now.

The Family Chef said...

Shauna,
Thank you for the comment. You are an inspiration! I hope motherhood is treating you well. I know it has rocked my culinary world but it is a lot of fun to now combine the two.

L~ said...

YEA!!!!!!!
I am 2 months into this GF lifestyle, by choice-
Not sure if I have Celiac disease, I prefer to think I have a gluten intolerance :)
I feel much better already & now, thanks to you, I can add a fav back to my menu!
BLUEBERRY MUFFINS! BLESS YOU! :)
I am adding your blog to my list & look forward to perusing for more yummy recipes!
Thanks again! L in WA

The Family Chef said...

Hi L in WA! Welcome to gluten-free. Just posted a new recipe tonight so check that out. Glad you enjoyed the muffins. Take care. -amy