Anyone can be "the family chef". You just need good recipes and techniques! Chef Amy Fothergill shares her best recipes with you for quick and easy dishes with an emphasis on gluten-free.

Get information here about her cookbook, The Warm Kitchen: Gluten-Free Recipes Anyone Can Make and Everyone Will Love.

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Quinoa and corn cakes recipe

I'm going to really try to not tell a super long story so you can get right to this recipe. Promise.

A friend of mine brought me one of these a few weeks ago; she had just made a batch and I was very excited to try them. I pictured it being more like a crab cake when she described it but it was closer to a griddle cake since it's flat.

My 6 year old daughter was in the room when she arrived with the sample. I'm thinking, "Oh yeah, it's doesn't have sugar. My daughter won't want this." Wrong.
"What's that, Mama?" she asked.
"Something with quinoa; I don't think you'll like it." (it smelled so good, I really did not want to share this).
"Can I have some?"
"Sure honey" and I gave her a piece.
"Uhmm, that's good!" she says "Can I have more?". At least she has good manners.
"Of course, you can. I'll give you half." but inside I was like, really? You want this? Woe is me. Never assume what your kids will and won't eat. I think I said that.

So, I got the recipe from my friend. It had come from her sister who had gotten it from a magazine in Southern California so I don't know the exact source. I did change some of the amounts and ingredients as well. If I find out where it came from, I will update the post.

I made the quinoa cakes the next week. Surprisingly, everyone (8 year old son and husband included) loved them. What a great way to get some healthy protein for us all! I hope you will give it a try.

Quinoa and Corn Cakes
Makes about 10-12

1/2 cup quinoa
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth (you can also use all water or broth)
1 large egg
1/2 cup corn (if using frozen, thaw slightly before adding or add to cooked quinoa)
2 scallions, finely chopped (white and green)
1/3 cup red pepper, diced
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella (optional)
1/4 cup The Family Chef's gluten-free flour blend (or all-purpose flour for non gluten-free)
2 tablespoons corn flour (the fine type, not coarse like polenta)
2 tablespoons milk or milk substitute
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon ground pepper

Vegetable oil for frying

1. Cook quinoa. If quinoa has not been pre-rinsed (check package), rinse briefly under cold water. Add quinoa, water and broth to a small to medium sized pot with a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and cover. Cook 10-12 minutes or until all of the water has absorbed. Cool slightly.
2. In a medium bowl, add egg and beat. Add remaining ingredients including quinoa but not the vegetable oil and mix with a spoon or rubber spatula/scraper. If mixture is very wet and won't hold together, add another tablespoon of the flour mixture.
3. Place a thin layer of vegetable oil in a medium to large non-stick pan. Heat pan to medium. When pan is hot, add 1/4 cup of the quinoa mixture and press down with a spatula to make a griddle cake. Make sure to leave room between each one. Cook about 2-3 minutes or until one side is golden brown. Flip over and cook the other side. They don't always stay together perfectly but that's ok; they taste great.
4. Serve cakes immediately or at room temperature, plain or with a tomato salsa.

6 comments:

Lizziebeth said...

That looks really good!

Anonymous said...

This looks yum! If we don't need it gluten free, would we just use the same amount of regular flour you specify?

The Family Chef said...

Thanks Lizziebeth!

Yes, you can substitute regular flour for my flour blend. I'll add that to the notes. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I was looking for an old recipe from Eating Well that I loved, and came across this. It is the closest to what I remembered, and delicious. I topped it with a black bean and tomato salsa (how I remember it from the magazine) and it was wonderful! Thanks for getting me close to my craving.

Anonymous said...

Or maybe it was from Prevention magazine.

The Family Chef said...

Maybe that's where it came from. I did try to find the source but was not able to. Hmm, might need to make it this week!