Friday, August 26, 2011
Gluten Free Maui Banana Bread recipe
On our way to Hana, we never made it to one of the roadside banana bread stands, mostly because they all had gluten in them. I did allow myself to taste one local batch from a grocery store in Ka'anapali because I was curious. The family also agreed it was delicious.
When I returned home, I was determined to recreate the same flavor but in a gluten-free variety. After doing some cross referencing, I decided to use my own recipe for banana bread with the addition of salted macadamia nuts and some extra cinnamon. The result was simply delicious; the bread is moist and sweet with a hint of cinnamon and a nice crunch from the macadamias. Why not give it a try? You will be saying "Mahalo" or thank you for sure!
Gluten-Free Maui Banana Bread
2 cup basic Gluten-Free flour blend (you can use your own to try this one)
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt (use less if the nuts are salted)
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 large eggs
1/2 cup melted butter or vegetable oil
1/3 cup milk or yogurt
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 ripe, mashed bananas
1/2 c chopped macadamia nuts or walnuts
Optional: 1/2 c unsweetened shredded coconut
1. Pre-heat oven to 325F and generously grease loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients (first 7 ingredients).
3. In a smaller bowl, mix the eggs, then add the butter or oil, milk or yogurt, sugar, vanilla and banana.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix. Stir in the nuts and optionally, the coconut.
5. Place batter into loaf pan.
6. Bake for 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the middle is set.